[Snort-sigs] content - security bulletin

Matthew Watchinski mwatchinski at ...435...
Fri Jun 22 11:23:00 EDT 2007

You might want to look at the following writeup for how this
vulnerability works.

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/471203

You going to need a bit more than a content match to pick this one up.

Once you read the analysis and disassembly you'll need to develop some
PoC code for the vulnerability so you know you are hitting the right
problem.  You'll need to test against both unpatched and patched
versions to make sure you didn't trigger something other than this
vulnerability.

After you have your exploit nailed down and all the necessary conditions
that have to be in place then you can begin writing the rule.

The first thing you'll need to do is go over all the flowbit decoding
rules in the web-misc category that deal with locating specific sections
of the SSL handshake.  Then you'll need to write some
byte_test/byte_jump logic to get to the correct section of the SSL
header, then you'll need to test for the triggering conditions of the
vulnerability that you found above.

Cheers,

-matt