[Snort-sigs] SID 8440: IMAP SSLv2 openssl get shared ciphers overflow attempt

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...1311...
Tue Nov 7 15:22:14 EST 2006

I'm getting a boatload of alerts from one host for this SID.  The rule
looks for [01 03] (SOH followed by ETX) at a depth of 2 bytes.  Every
single packet that triggers this alert begins with this sequence: 17 03 01
03 80

ETB ETX SOH ETX followed by a high ascii character.  So, End of
Transmission Block, End of Text, Start of Heading, End of Text, high ascii.

Any of you uber-geeks want to translate what this host is doing?  Or
attempting to do?  (BTW, I suspect this is "benign" activity.  The source
host is on a local ISP's network, and the dest host is our imap server.
The alerts are triggered every two minutes, give or take a hundredth of a
second, so it looks like aggressive mail checking.)

Is this a broken client?  Eeeevvviiilll?

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...1311...)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/