[Snort-sigs] rule for Non-SSL traffic on SSL port?

Jason Brvenik jasonb at ...435...
Fri Jun 23 20:53:05 EDT 2006

"grep -i ssl /path/to/vrt/rules/files" would be a good start

$ grep -i ssl * | wc
     131    2642   39057

I'm thinking of something like this

alert tcp $HOMW_NET 443 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"NON SSL response"; \
flowbits:isnotset,sslv2.client_hello.request; \
flowbits:isnotset,sslv3.client_hello.request; \
flowbits:isnotset,tlsv1.client_hello.request; \
flow:established,to_client; sid:1000000; rev:1; )

This presumes that the client requesting data would not initiate with a
client hello so the response would not have client_hello set.

You might have to play with it a little but it should be possible.