[Snort-sigs] SNMP Missing Community String Signature FP

Eric Hines eric.hines at ...1663...
Mon Jul 10 19:33:22 EDT 2006

Nigel,

Packet pasted below starting from UDP Header. You are correct, as Jon
pointed out, the 5 byte offset was starting from the UDP header instead
of the Payload.

But it still begs to ask as to why the rule is firing when the payload
does in fact contain the public community string. Why search for |04 00|
? What would the |04 00| be indicative of if the payload does contain
the community string?

0fdd 00a1 0033 d483 3029 0201 0004 0670         .......3..0).....p
7562 6c69 63a0 1c02 0400 a063 f602 0100 0201    ublic......c......
0030 0e30 0c06 082b 0601 0201 0103 0005 00      .0.0...+.........

Best Regards,

Eric S. Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Eric S. Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Email:   eric.hines at ...1663...
Address: 1095 Pingree Road
          Suite 213
          Crystal Lake, IL
          60014
Tel:     (877) 262-7593 ext:327
Fax:     (847) 854-5106
Web:     http://www.appliedwatch.com

Security Management for the Open Source Enterprise