[Snort-sigs] OSSRC Rules Overlap Committee

Chris Baker extremis at ...862...
Wed Feb 1 11:24:07 EST 2006

I like the idea of vendor namespace, or numberspace.

However, the issue that weighs the heaviest for me is when should a rule be
promoted to a more authoritative namespace, and who has the highest
authority. We should have provisions for keeping vendor specific variants
within their namespace in addition to the community approved rule. I hope
that all rules can be eventually promoted to the Community Rules. Rules that
have no conflictions throughout other vendorspace do not have to be
promoted.