[Snort-sigs] Rebuilding snort server and sensors

Thompson, Jimi JimiT at ...2437...
Tue Oct 25 12:15:38 EDT 2005

Item #1 - RH9 is obsolete.  You may not be able to harden the OS
sufficiently to do what you need to do safely.

Item #2 - RH, unless you go to a lot of extra trouble, tends to install
a lot of things that really aren't ideal on any server, much less one
being used a security appliance.

Item #3 - The BSD's do a much better of job of only installing what's
necessary to bring the box up (i.e. kernel and necessary bits of the OS)
.

When I'm setting up a box to be used as a security appliance, I make
sure that I have the lasted versions of everything, unless they have
some known issue that makes them undesirable.  I also make sure that
anything I can build from source, I do so since I prefer to do custom
configs instead of pre-installed packages.  I also don't like having to
either go in and uninstall a bunch of crap or spend a lot of valuable
time configuring the OS installer in the first place.  When I first
bring a box up, the ONLY thing I want is a blinking command prompt.  I
really don't care about a GUI, games, web server, etc.  If I want them,
I will install them.  The FIRST rule of security is that if it's not
installed, it's not a problem.

Just my 2 cents....

Thanks,

Ms. Jimi Thompson

Manager of Web Operations

SMU Cox School of Business

If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee --
that will do them in. -- Bradley's Bromide