[Snort-sigs] Check Point Software Technologies to Acquire Sourcefire

Jennifer Steffens jennifer.steffens at ...435...
Thu Oct 6 18:09:13 EDT 2005

That is a great question and I am glad you asked. Rules will continue to
be distributed in the same fashion as before. To clarify, since there
still seems to be confusion, there are two types of rules available on
snort.org - VRT Certified and Community. VRT Certified rules are
distributed as follows:
* Subscribers receive rulesets in real-time as they are released
* Registered users receive rulesets after a 5 day delay
* Unregistered users receive access to the latest ruleset at the time of
each Snort point release (2.4, 2.5, etc).

These rules are always distributed under the VRT Certified Rules
License, regardless of the timing of the release. The Community ruleset
is distributed under the GPL and is freely available to all users.

Hope this clears things up.

Cheers,
Jennifer