[Snort-sigs] FLOWBITS ERROR

Bristol, Gary L. gbristol at ...2977...
Wed Mar 2 06:30:52 EST 2005

What I find strange about this though is I have 6 sensors I applied the
same updates too and only 2 of them had this error.
I guess I not running as consistant rule set as I thought.
Same solution though, I increased the flow bit size to 64 and it worked
fine on both of them giving me the error.

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-sigs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-sigs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Matt
Jonkman
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:06 PM
To: Zultan
Cc: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] FLOWBITS ERROR

I got hit as well. A little discussion on irc we figured out there's a
256 unique flowbits max in snort. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but
that's apparently 256 different set statements. Dupes don't count, and
checks don't count.

So get the sets under 256 and you'll be able to start snort. I had to
drop a lot of netbios rules myself, but ones I'm not interested in
anyway.

A question for the snort folks, is this threshold for performance or
memory consumption, or both? And will we have to look at upping that for

future releases as flowbits is more used? Or are we abusing flowbits?

Thanks

matt

Zultan wrote:
> Yesterday all was well. Running Version 2.3.0 (Build 10)
>
> After applying the latest rule update with oinkmaster, I got this
flowbits error when testing with  ]#snort -Toc /etc/snort/snort.conf

> ERROR: FLOWBITS ERROR: The number of flowbit IDs in the current
ruleset exceed the maximum number of IDs that are allowed.

> Is there a workaround or a config setting I don't know about?

Matthew Jonkman, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer
Infotex
765-429-0398 Direct Anytime