[Snort-sigs] If You're Using Bleeding Snort Rules Read This!!

Matt Jonkman matt at ...2436...
Thu Jun 9 06:10:34 EDT 2005

Any doesn't work in this case or it'd have been done. The ssh var is
needed to be excluded, to tell us about ssh on other ports. Ports that
are not authorized.

Ya, vars will be a good thing for ossrc to handle. But still, I'm sure
new vars will be added in the future. We all have to be watching and
have tools that can easily integrate new vars.

Matt

Joel Esler wrote:
> Wouldn't it be just as efficient to add  "any" instead of "$SSH_PORTS"
> or whatever the var is?  I mean.. really..  I think that settles the
> whole document.  On the other hand, I would recommend turning "var"s
> over to either OSSRC or sourcefire themselves.  It's their product!
> They should build it into the snort.conf that comes with it if it's that
> big a deal for a few rules.
>
> I'd much rather go with the "any" statement.

> On Jun 9, 2005, at 12:37 AM, Frank Knobbe wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 23:29 -0500, Eric Maheo wrote:
>>
>>> I think OSSRC should also be the provider of VARIABLES.
>>

>> LOL!!  How is that different? If OSSRC adds a variable, and you still
>> don't pay attention, you still have the same shit hitting the same fan.
>>
>> Get a clue. You dropped the ball. Suck it up and get over it. That's
>> hardly a topic to keep alive on a list dealing with sigs.
>>
>> -Frank

Matthew Jonkman, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer
Infotex