[Snort-sigs] If You're Using Bleeding Snort Rules Read This!!

Eric Maheo eric.maheo at ...1663...
Wed Jun 8 21:32:56 EDT 2005

well.. confronted with the absurdity of Erik Fichtner's comments it is
hard to find arguments since he is spinning the facts..

Now that said, let's try to be constructive..

2 or 3 months ago Sourcefire and Bleeding Edge created the OSSRC. it is
a very nice idea to avoid duplication of rules, overlapping of sids
and....
I think OSSRC should also be the provider of VARIABLES.

This will assure everybody we can use the latest snort version and some
OSSRC rules (bleeding edge for example) without breaking a snort
process..

Actually if you download snort with bleeding edge, snort won't start.
You need to edit your snort.conf and add a variable.

Now I see 2 solutions:
	-a solution is to remove this variable.
	-an other solution is to ask Sourcefire to add this variable in the
snort.conf..

Thanks,

Eric Maheo
Vice President of Engineering,