[Snort-sigs] If You're Using Bleeding Snort Rules Read This!!

Eric Hines eric.hines at ...1663...
Wed Jun 8 13:29:41 EDT 2005

Erik,

We're Bleeding-edge sponsors and I personally as an admin contribute to the
project as well. No need to remind me of the Bleeding-edge Mantra or
disclaimers.

The fact of the matter is, going off and creating a bunch of custom
variables outside of the standard variables declared in the default
snort.conf should be up to the individual user. Imagine what would happen if
every person out there who contributes a Bleeding-edge snort rule decided to
go off and make their own variables for all their sigs -- that would be
thousands of new variables people would need to add to their snort.conf -- I
mean come on.

You misspoke regarding your statement on buggy tools. Software isn't buggy
because it doesn't go in to a rules file for the user and add custom
variables that you conjure up.

As admins at Bleeding-Edge, we've been hard at work trying to standardize
the rules that come in. Before we implemented the web-based rule submission
system, people would submit rules without classifications or priorities,
oft-breaking Snort because of this. The last thing I want to see happen is
everyone begin creating their own variables (EHINES_POP3, MY_COOL_FTP_VAR,
etc)... Variables are fine for services that often run on more than one
common port number (e.g. HTTP), but what's next? A variable for FTP?

Best Regards,

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC
1134 N. Main St.
Algonquin, IL 60102
Tel: (877) 262-7593 e:327
Fax: (877) 262-7593
Mob: (847) 456-6785
Web: http://www.appliedwatch.com
-
Enterprise Snort Management at http://www.appliedwatch.com.
Security Information Management for the Open Source Enterprise.
-