[Snort-sigs] SSH brute force attack sig

Matt Jonkman matt at ...2436...
Wed Jul 6 11:33:20 EDT 2005

Flowbits is part of the standard snort for anything remotely recent.

The basis is you can use a flowbit like a variable, so you can pass
information from one stream or one sig to another.

In this case you could write another sig that only applied when
ssh.brute.attempt was set.

It's not relevant at this point because the sigs we had that did check
that variable we dropped. We thought a while ago we had a lead on the
packet size that we'd see on a successful authentication. So we wanted
to start looking for that packet if there was  a brute going on, that
being a big problem if a brute got a successful auth.

But the packet size proved not to be consistent.

But this sig is still very valuable on it's own. And accurate.

Matt

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Wednesday, July 06, 2005 13:01:02 -0500 Matt Jonkman
> <matt at ...2436...> wrote:
>
>> SCAN/SCAN_SSH_Brute_Force:
>> alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 22 (msg: "BLEEDING-EDGE
>> Potential SSH Scan"; flags: S; flowbits: set,ssh.brute.attempt;
>> threshold: type threshold, track by_src, count 5, seconds 120;
>> classtype: suspicious-login; sid: 2001219; rev:10; )
>>
>> We've tweaked this one to be near perfect. We are setting the
>> ssh.brute.attempt, but the other sigs that used to use it were removed.
>> So we could take that out, but it'll surely be useful somewhere down the
>> line.
>>
>> This is in the SCAN ruleset on bleeding.
>>
>> Let us know how the threshold in this one affects your net, being larger
>> than average.
>>
> I'll let you know, but I have one question.
>
> What is this: flowbits: set,ssh.brute.attempt;
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Is that a special, bleeding-snort conf value?  Or part of the std snort
> distro?
>
> Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...1311...)
> Adjunct Information Security Officer
> University of Texas at Dallas