[Snort-sigs] excessive simultaneous connections like iplimit ??

sekure sekure at ...2420...
Mon Jan 3 12:40:14 EST 2005

Paddy,

If I understand you correctly you are talking about monitoring
concurrent active sessions.  I don't think Snort can do this without
some custom preprocessor work, though a lot of the foundation is
there.

Stream4 preprocessor can dump session data to disk, (look at the
keepstats parameter).  It's just a matter of post-processing that
file, though on a fairly busy network that's probably not a way to do
it. And the session data is written after the connection is
terminated, so you'd always be behind.

I don't know, I am stumped.

I tried playing with activates/dynamic rules, but never got anywhere,
they refused to work for my purpose a few versions back.  I also
remember something about the support for them going away in favor of
tag: keyword.

Good luck