[Snort-sigs] Bleeding rules virus and threshold issue

Matt Jonkman matt at ...2436...
Sat Feb 19 10:44:29 EST 2005

This isn't unusual, you can only have one threshold entry per sid. I'd
guess you're loading the sigs twice for some reason? Maybe for dual http
ports or smtp ports variables or something?

At any rate, if you remove the duplicate signatures this'll go away. if
you need to run with several variables I'd recommend a second instance
of snort with a a pcap expression limiting to just that port, and
running just the rules relevant. Lots more efficient I think.

Matt

James Lay wrote:
> Hey folks!
>
> Just upgraded to 2.3.0 and here's what I get with
>
> Feb 19 08:22:43 ns1 snort: FATAL ERROR: Rule-Threshold-Parse: could not
> create a threshold object -- only one per sid, sid = 2001578
> Feb 19 08:24:19 ns1 snort: FATAL ERROR: Rule-Threshold-Parse: could not
> create a threshold object -- only one per sid, sid = 2001573
>
> after nuking all entries in bleeding-virus.rules with "threshold: type
> limit" in them snort would fire up.  Any thoughts on this?
>
> James Lay
> Network Manager/Security Officer
> AmeriBen Solutions/IEC Group
> Semper Vigilans!!!