[Snort-sigs] FP on 2048 "MISC rsyncd overflow attempt"

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at ...651...
Sat Apr 16 03:57:16 EDT 2005

I'm continually seeing this rule trigger on an rsync between two of our
Linux boxes - both using rsync-2.6.4. Basically it's a rsnapshot backup
script that runs every hour, and snort triggers - well - every hour...
The "-z" option is being used - which means the data is gzip'ped - so
it's continually changing, but it looks to me like there are a bunch of
NULLs at the beginning the the session - which triggers the rule.

Example hex dump of a sample packet is attached

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417