[Snort-sigs] Re: [Snort-users] Community Rule Update

Alex Kirk alex.kirk at ...435...
Mon Apr 4 06:11:00 EDT 2005

Matt,

Certainly...here's the list from the last update:

100000126 || COMMUNITY MISC GoodTech Telnet Server Buffer Overflow
Attempt || cve,2005-0768 ||
url,unsecure.altervista.org/security/goodtechtelnet.htm
100000127 || COMMUNITY WEB-CGI Stadtaus.com PHP Form Mail Remote Script
Include Attack formmail.inc.php || bugtraq,12735
100000128 || COMMUNITY WEB-CGI Stadtaus.com PHP Form Mail Remote Script
Include Attack download_center_lite.inc.php || bugtraq,12735
100000129 || COMMUNITY WEB-MISC Cisco IOS HTTP Router Management Service
Infinite Loop DoS || bugtraq,10014 ||
url,www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/ioshttpserverquery-pub.shtml
100000130 || COMMUNITY WEB-MISC PY Software Active Webcam Webserver DoS
|| bugtraq,12778
100000131 || COMMUNITY WEB-MISC PY Software Active Webcam Webserver DoS
- Floppy Access || bugtraq,12778
100000132 || COMMUNITY WEB-MISC Proxy Server Access

Jason -- assuming I've understood you correctly, and that this rule will
fire on all three types of proxy server, I'll make that change shortly;
otherwise I would think two rules made sense.

As to the idea of a VALID_PROXY_SERVERS variable, it makes sense -- *if*
you've gone through as an admin and defined that variable. The problem
is, for people who are just letting Oinkmaster grab new rules without
touching their conf, this rule would break Snort, since they wouldn't
have that variable defined. That said, though, it's a good way to cut
down false positives if you take the time to define the variable, so
I'll add your suggestion to the doc.

Alex Kirk
Research Analyst/
Community Rules Maintainer