[Snort-sigs] gen_id in suppress and threshold rules

Gary_Portnoy at ...2451... Gary_Portnoy at ...2451...
Fri May 28 05:09:05 EDT 2004

Check out gen-msg.map, part of a rule distribution.

Gary Portnoy

Russell Fulton <r.fulton at ...575...>
Sent by: snort-sigs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
05/27/2004 10:08 PM

        To:     snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
        cc:
        Subject:        [Snort-sigs] gen_id in suppress and threshold rules

Hi All,
                 After a small slammer outbreak that left several hundred
thousand
alters in the database (it was only on the net for about 15 minutes)
I've decided that it is time I came to grips with thresholds.

The good book tells me I need both sig_id (no problems) and gen_id.
I've looked high and low for a definition of gen_id (I found it stands
for generator_id but that does not really help).  All examples I have
found have gen_id as 1 and using this seems to work fine.

But I'm curious, and I don't like mysteries :)

Anyone care to shed some light or point to a reference.

Cheers and thanks, Russell.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
This message is for the named person's use only. This communication is for
informational purposes only and has been obtained from sources believed to
be reliable, but it is not necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be
guaranteed. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any
transaction. Moreover, this material should not be construed to contain any
recommendation regarding, or opinion concerning, any security. It may
contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

ITG Inc. reserves the right to monitor and archive all electronic
communications through its network.

ITG Inc. Member NASD, SIPC