[Snort-sigs] Bobax/Kibuv Windows XP UPnP SCAN

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...1311...
Tue May 18 09:35:00 EDT 2004

--On Tuesday, May 18, 2004 10:08:12 AM -0400 "Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US
SSA)" <jonathan.w.miner at ...2476...> wrote:

> Lots of Port 5000 scans since yesterday... From reading the diary at
> www.incidents.org, it looks like the results of Bobax and Kibuv worms.
> I've written a simple rule that logs all my port 5000 connections.
> Comments?

First of all, it's not a scan.  It's a buffer overflow exploit.  Secondly,
it's unlikely that it's Bobax/Kibuv, because you would be seeing more ports
involved in the activity (Kibuv attacks about eight different weaknesses on
several different ports.  These 5000 probes appear to be "standalone".

I posted a hexdump to the incidents list the other day.  You might want to
look at that.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...1311...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas