[Snort-sigs] writing signatures from isolated viruses

pieter claassen pieter at ...1894...
Thu Mar 25 15:29:06 EST 2004

Find sections that stay the same and that you can use to create a
signature from.

Don't worry about mime encoding the file, just sniff the wire and look
for things that stay the same during a mail exchange of the offending
piece of mail. Use Ethereal or something.

Watch out that the signature doesn't match itself (code a bit of the
content in binary).

You can look into using IPS to drop the packets that match. However, be
careful with SMTP's reaction to dropped packets, reject might be more
suitable. Even better if you can get your mailer to drop matches (Exim
can do this)

Pieter