[Snort-sigs] Possible trojan rule

Matthew Jonkman matt at ...2436...
Thu Jun 3 09:20:58 EDT 2004

Excellent point.

Any ideas on how to reliably monitor this? Current rules are useless if
the filename changes. If we put one in for the IP that's just as easy to
change.

Maybe catching the demographics upload as in another post is the best
bet. Less likely to change.

Matt

Joe Stewart wrote:

> On Thursday 03 June 2004 9:20 am, Micheal Cottingham wrote:
>
>>The only other thing I can add is that it looks like it is creating
>>.text and .rdata files as well.
>

> Those are just PE section names. The only thing this binary does is
> sleep for 10 seconds then exit. That's not to say the same URL hasn't
> hosted some malware in the past, or possibly in the future. It could
> just be the malware author is trying to play hide-and-seek with the
> real file to try and keep it out of the AV companies definition files
> longer. It's probably worth monitoring to see if the file at that URL
> changes at some point.
>
> -Joe

Matthew Jonkman, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer