[Snort-sigs] Re: Possible trojan rule

Matthew Jonkman matt at ...2436...
Wed Jun 2 21:04:02 EDT 2004

Fixed version of that rule (typo), and it wouldn't match with
uricontent, so using content and GET.

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> any 80 (msg:"BLEEDING-EDGE Unknown Spyware
siae323.exe GET"; content:"GET /siae3123,exe"; nocase; classtype:
policy-violation; sid:2000306; rev:3;)

Also on the snort.infotex.com rules.

Matthew Jonkman wrote:

> We're finding a number of client machines infected with something. Not
> sure what it is. The symptom is it downloads
>
> http://209.123.150.15/siae3123.exe
>
> on a regular basis. We've grabbed the file and can't quite identify it.
>
> Put a signature in the bleeding ruleset to hopefully find out how far it
> is in our networks. If anyone has more info on it I'd appreciate knowing.
>
> There are a few google posts, all saying how no one knows quite what it
> is. All in the last couple weeks. Most think it's just spyware, likely
> using an IE exploit to get in.
>
> I have a suspicion it may be related to
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/encyclopedia/overview.aspx?idvirus=46921&sind=0
>
> Virtumonde.C
>
> Mostly because the name of the server these updates are on calls istels
> updates.virtumonde.com
>
> The sig I'm using to track it down is:
>
> alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 80 (msg:"BLEEDING-EDGE Unknown
> Spyware siae323.exe GET"; uricontent:"GET /siae3123,exe"; nocase; flow
> :to_server,established; classtype: policy-violation; sid:2000306; rev:1;)
>
> Available in the bleeding set, http://snort.infotex.com

Matthew Jonkman, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer
Infotex