[Snort-sigs] Possible trojan rule

Matthew Jonkman matt at ...2436...
Wed Jun 2 20:14:23 EDT 2004

We're finding a number of client machines infected with something. Not
sure what it is. The symptom is it downloads

http://209.123.150.15/siae3123.exe

on a regular basis. We've grabbed the file and can't quite identify it.

Put a signature in the bleeding ruleset to hopefully find out how far it
is in our networks. If anyone has more info on it I'd appreciate knowing.

There are a few google posts, all saying how no one knows quite what it
is. All in the last couple weeks. Most think it's just spyware, likely
using an IE exploit to get in.

I have a suspicion it may be related to
http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/encyclopedia/overview.aspx?idvirus=46921&sind=0
Virtumonde.C

Mostly because the name of the server these updates are on calls istels
updates.virtumonde.com

The sig I'm using to track it down is:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 80 (msg:"BLEEDING-EDGE Unknown
Spyware siae323.exe GET"; uricontent:"GET /siae3123,exe"; nocase; flow
:to_server,established; classtype: policy-violation; sid:2000306; rev:1;)

Available in the bleeding set, http://snort.infotex.com

Matthew Jonkman, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer
Infotex