[Snort-sigs] NETBIOS nimda .eml

McCash, John John.McCash at ...2471...
Tue Jun 1 08:21:38 EDT 2004

Hello Everyone,
	Here's a proposal for an update to the 'NETBIOS nimda .eml' rule. Please feel free to dissect and discuss, but I think some sort of update to the false positives field, at least, is in order.
		Thanks
			John

# This is a template for submitting snort signature descriptions to
# the snort.org website
#
# Ensure that your descriptions are your own
# and not the work of others.  References in the rules themselves
# should be used for linking to other's work.
#
# If you are unsure of some part of a rule, use that as a commentary
# and someone else perhaps will be able to fix it.
#
# $Id$
#
#

Rule:
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 139 (msg:"NETBIOS nimda .eml"; flow:to_server,established; content:"|00|.|00|E|00|M|00|L"; reference:url,www.f-secure.com/v-descs/nimda.shtml; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:1293; rev:10;)

--
Sid:
1293

--

--
Impact:

--
Detailed Information:
Nimda spreads by file infection, mass emailer, file share, or IIS unicode exploit to attack unpatched systems.

--
Affected Systems:
Windows 95

--
Attack Scenarios:
An unpatched server is connected to the internet and is infected or an infected email is opened. Once infected the worm spreads itself.

--
Ease of Attack:
Simple

--
False Positives:
This rule triggers when any file of type .eml (Outlook Express Internet Email Archive) is opened or copied across a Windows filesharing connection. (I think. You might want to double check. I'm getting significant numbers of false positives, and I believe this is the cause)

--
False Negatives:
Only detects Nimda's filesharing spread mode.

--
Corrective Action:
Check the suspect host for signs of infection. Apply patches or upgrade the operating system

--
Contributors:
Snort documentation contributed by Timothy Vienneau

--
Additional References:
url: www.f-secure.com/v-descs/nimda.shtml <http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/nimda.shtml>

this email is prohibited.