[Snort-sigs] Tagged Packet?

Daniel Roelker droelker at ...435...
Mon Jul 26 10:57:28 EDT 2004

Tagged packets are generated based on the tag keyword in rules.  The
only two rules I see that have tag in them are SID 2251 and 2252.  What
this means is that when either of these alerts go off, snort logs the
next 5 packets in that session and calls them "Tagged Packet".  "Tagged
Packet" isn't a rule you turn on or off.  It is generated by snort.  If
you don't want to see the tagged packets, then take out the tag keyword
in these two SIDS.

I believe that these SIDs use tagged packets so the analyst can
determine whether the original alert was a false positive or not.  Rules
Team care to comment?

Dan