[Snort-sigs] pwdump, l0phtcrack, hash extraction

Matthew Jonkman matt at ...2436...
Tue Jul 20 09:44:02 EDT 2004

I don't believe a null session is used with pwdump. It's got to have
admin rights to run pwservice.exe and get the hashes.

What I see hit when using pwdump3e are:

NETBIOS SMB-DS ADMIN$ share unicode access
and
NETBIOS SMB-DS Create AndX Request winreg unicode attempt

And the 2 rules I put up on bleedingsnort.com as well. Since the 2 above
can hit for legitimate traffic they aren't a good indication of hostile
activity.

Matt