[Snort-sigs] BIttorrent Signature updates

Matthew Jonkman matt at ...2436...
Thu Jul 8 07:53:10 EDT 2004

Thanks for looking at it. I had a reference that mentioned that
bittorrent 2, as well as some existing clients will go to 6999 as well.
So I figured I'd get ahead of the game. :)

Had a few references in bt2 devel sites, as well as this:
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/port-table.html

Thanks

Nigel Houghton wrote:

> On  0, Matthew Jonkman <matt at ...2436...> allegedly wrote:
>
>>I've update Chich Thierrys Bittorrent rules a bit. I've seen and had a
>>number of falses reported, especially in backup streams from things like
>>veritas, etc.
>>
>>I've added port ranges to them.
>>
>>alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 6969 (msg:"BLEEDING-EDGE P2P
>>BitTorrent peer sync"; content:"|0000000d0600|"; offset:0; depth:12;
>>flags:PA; classtype:policy-violation; sid:2000334; rev:2;)
>>
>>alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 6881:6999 (msg:"BLEEDING-EDGE
>>P2P BitTorrent peer sync"; content:"|0000000d0600|"; offset:0; depth:12;
>>flags:PA; classtype:policy-violation; sid:2000357; rev:1;)
>

> Here is the port information from the Bittorrent protocol [0]:
>
>   The port number this peer is listening on. Common behavior is
> 	for a downloader to try to listen on port 6881 and if
> 	that port is taken try 6882, then 6883, etc. and give up
> 	after 6889.
>
> Not sure where you got your port information from, but it would seem your
> port range is a little generous. I might go for a rule to seek out
> connections to a listener on my home net, that might focus things a little
> more.
>
> [0] http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/protocol.html
>

>>I think this will eliminate the falses. Please let me know if this makes
>>them ineffective.
>>
>>Matt

> Nigel Houghton       Research Engineer        Sourcefire Inc.
>                  Vulnerability Research Team
>
> "Dude, dolphins are intelligent and friendly!" -- Wendy
> "Intelligent and friendly on rye bread, with some mayonaise." -- Cartman

Matthew Jonkman, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer
Infotex
765-429-0398 Direct Anytime