[Snort-sigs] Avoidance of 2230.5 (WEB-MISC NetGear router default password login attempt admin/password)

Matthew Jonkman matt at ...2436...
Sat Jul 3 07:48:11 EDT 2004

These and the others seem to be valid and good suggestions. Any idea
when these will be updated in the rules?

If it'll be a bit we can post the updated versions on bleeding. I don't
think that's the best way to go though.

Matt

nnposter at ...592... wrote:

> Rule:  WEB-MISC NetGear router default password login attempt admin/password
>
> --
> Sid: 2230
>
> --
> False Negatives:
> Current version of the rule incorrectly assumes specific spacing.
> As a result, an attacker can easily get around the signature.
>
> See http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec4.html#sec4.2
> See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2617.txt
>

> I am proposing to convert the authentication clause to PCRE:
>
> alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET $HTTP_PORTS
> (msg:"WEB-MISC NetGear router default password login attempt admin/password";
> flow:to_server,established; content:"YWRtaW46cGFzc3dvcmQ";
> pcre:"/^Authorization\x3a\s*Basic +(?-i)YWRtaW46cGFzc3dvcmQ/mi";
> reference:nessus,11737; classtype:default-login-attempt; sid:2230; rev:6;)

Matthew Jonkman, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer
Infotex
765-429-0398 Direct Anytime