[Snort-sigs] Beta rule for detecting DoomJuice infected hosts

Kevin L. Shaw kevin.shaw at ...2216...
Tue Feb 10 07:52:01 EST 2004

I'm still new to putting signatures up for SourceFire sensors.  If
anyone uses them; could they point me to the right options or
documentation I can read to properly implement this signature on them
(my test sensors first of course!) please?

Thanks!
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Eckman [mailto:eckman at ...2044...]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 5:43 PM
To: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-sigs] Beta rule for detecting DoomJuice infected hosts

Untested as of yet. Should work (?). Requires Snort 2.1 or newer, due to
use of the threshold option.

Rule:
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> any 3127 (msg:"DoomJuice Infected Host";
flags: S; window: 8760; sid:123456789; threshold: type limit, track
by_src, count 1, seconds 30 ; reference:url,www.lurhq.com/mydoom-c.html;

classtype:attempted-dos; rev:1;)

--
Sid: 123456789 (modify as appropriate)

--
trying to spread the DoomJuice worm. It uses threshold to make sure that

only one alert is generated each 30 seconds.

--
Impact: DoomJuice-infected hosts create a lot of flow traffic that may
overwhelm network infrastructure. They launch a Denial of Service attack

at www.microsoft.com and try to spread by trying to connect to 3127/tcp
on random destination IP addresses. It also leaves the MyDoom backdoor
port of 3127/tcp open for others to abuse it.

--
Detailed Information:
Requires Snort 2.1 or higher due to use of threshold. You really don't

The Doomjuice worm always uses TCP Window size of 8760 in its SYN packet

to 3127/tcp, so it becomes easy to detect.

--
Affected Systems:
Windows computers already infected with the MyDoom worm.

--
Ease of Attack:
Simple. This is a worm that is active in the wild.

--
Corrective Action:
Remove the worm from the computer.

--
Brian Eckman
Security Analyst

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who
understand binary and those who don't."