[Snort-sigs] rule license question

Brian bmc at ...95...
Mon Feb 2 06:58:12 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:22:35AM +0000, Frank Smith wrote:
> I have a question regarding licenses. The Snort itself is GPL-ed, but what
> about the signatures that are used with it?

Yes, the rules are part of snort, and are GPL-ed.

With almost all open source licenses, you can modify anything to meet
your "own" needs but if you want to distribute them, then you have
additional issues to deal with.

As long as you are keeping your modifications internal to your
organization, then it should be fine.  The same way that if you write
a plug-in to snort, you can keep it internal as much as you want.  If
you distribute it, it needs to be GPLed.

Brian