[Snort-sigs] First attempt at writing a sig

Lance Boon lboon at ...2573...
Fri Dec 17 12:22:09 EST 2004

Thanks for pointing that out here's the updated rule

alert udp any any -> any any (msg:"Netop Remote Control Usage";
content:"|554b30303736305337473130|"; reference:url,www.netop.com;
classtype:policy-violation; sid:2000000; rev:2;)

This caught my traffic going to my remote subnets. I tried increasing
the revision # as well but to no avail so I changed the sid to 2000001

alert udp any any -> any any (msg:"Netop Remote Control Usage";
content:"|554b30303736305337473130|"; reference:url,www.netop.com;
classtype:policy-violation; sid:2000001; rev:1;)

Now it's showing up in Acid correctly

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Jonkman [mailto:matt at ...2436...]
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 2:10 PM
To: Lance Boon
Cc: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] First attempt at writing a sig

Not a bad run for a first sig. Thanks for posting it.

Why did you go home-home net? Why not home-any? Or even any-any? I'm not

that familiar with the tool, but I'd think the most interesting traffic
would be someone from the outside connecting to a local box.

As far as why it doesn't show right in acid, not sure. It is crafted
correctly. Try increasing the rev number and hitting it again. I wonder
if maybe the first time you had a hit the msg was empty, in which case
it won't take the new msg until the rev # increases.

I'll put this up on bleeding snort for more testing after we sort out
the reasons for the home-home.

Matt

Lance Boon wrote:

>This is my first attempt at writing a sig and wondered if anybody had
>any pointers. I got a pcap of a netop session to 2 different systems,
>ran it through snort and noticed that the content was the same on in
one
>particular packet. So I wrote a rule for it, I have this working on my
>network right now and haven't had any false positives yet. The only
>thing that is bugging me and I'm sure that it's something that I'm
>missing is that when an alert hits it doesn't read "Netop Remote
Control