[Snort-sigs] Skype

Matt Jonkman matt at ...2436...
Thu Dec 16 05:42:02 EST 2004

Thanks Chich. I added a bit and put these up on bleedingsnort:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"BLEEDING-EDGE
Policy Skype VOIP Checking Version (Startup)"; uricontent:"/ui/";
nocase; uricontent:"/en/getlatestversion?ver="; nocase;
classtype:policy-violation;
reference:url,http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~library/TR-r
epository/reports/reports-2004/cucs-039-04.pdf; sid:2001595; rev:1;)
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"BLEEDING-EDGE
Policy Skype VOIP Reporting Install"; uricontent:"/ui/"; nocase; u
ricontent:"/en/installed"; nocase; classtype:policy-violation;
reference:url,http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~library/TR-repository/reports/rep
orts-2004/cucs-039-04.pdf; sid:2001596; rev:1;)

I worry about the first and falses a bit, so please let us know if you
see any. That getlatestversion string and ui could be used in a lot of
places.

Matt

Chich Thierry wrote:

>This a short and badly written rule that detect when skype check fo a new
>version - ie when it is launched. I didn't make the choice to precise the
>destination address: it is 212.72.49.131,  but it could easily change.
>

>alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> !$HOME_NET 80 (msg:"Skype get latest version";
>content:"GET";content:"getlatestversion?ver=";classtype:policy-violation;
>reference:url,http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~library/TR-repository/reports/reports-2004/cucs-039-04.pdf ;)
>

>Regards,
>
>Thierry Chich

Matthew Jonkman, CISSP