[Snort-sigs] we need support

James Lay jlay at ...2844...
Mon Dec 13 06:40:00 EST 2004

WELL PUT!

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Kirk [mailto:alex.kirk at ...435...]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 7:26 AM
To: SHAFFIE
Cc: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] we need support

Hello,

First of all, do the entire list a favor and please remove any and all
smileys, cartoons, and/or other HTML from your e-mail when posting to a
network security related list. HTML e-mail is one of the more common
ways for exploits to spread these days, and as such most people with a
security-oriented mindset turn it off in their mail. That, and it's just
unprofessional to come asking for help with a graduate project with an
e-mail full of cartoons.

As to your actual request: I'm surprised that, as graduate computer
students, you've never seen a .tar.gz file before. Hopefully you have
access to a UNIX/Linux/BSD system somewhere there at Alexandria
university, so that you can become familiar with these files if you're
not already. Of course, even if you don't have access to a single *NIX
system there, Winzip will open this type of archive without any extra
work; it automatically recognizes it and handles it as it would a .zip
file. You'll note that the source code for the Windows port is available
as part of the main Snort source download.

Documentation is included both in the .tar.gz file you'll need to
download, as well as on www.snort.org. There's a big "Documentation"
link on the left-hand side of the main page, in case you missed it.

Best of luck with your project...you're going to need it working with
Snort if you're coming to Snort-Sigs (which is a list about detection
signatures for Snort, not how to use it, install it, etc.) with these
sorts of questions.

Alex Kirk