[Snort-sigs] Help: ssh intrusion detection rule makes snort stop

Gerd-Christian Michalke gmichalk at ...2916...
Thu Dec 2 08:34:01 EST 2004

Hello,

Using : Snort 2.2 on slackware 9.1, logs are backed up in a mysql database.

I am trying to use this rule:
alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 22 (msg:"Potential SSH Brute Force Attack"; \
        flow:to_server; \
        flags:S; \
        threshold:type threshold, track by_src, count 3, seconds 60; \
        classtype:attempted-dos; \
        sid:2001219; \
        rev:4; \
        resp:rst-all; \
)

With this rule
When I start snort, it appears in "ps aux", and then quietly shuts down.

Without this rule, snort just runs fine.

I really need this kind of rule. I would be more than happy if someone could
possibly help me.

Yours sincerely,
G. Michalke