[Snort-sigs] Please remove the word "nazi" from the website

Yaakov Yehudi yehudi at ...1252...
Wed Aug 11 04:51:41 EDT 2004

I don't know if it was the word "soup" or "nazi" that was objectionable...

I note that the term "soup nazi" seems to be associated with a TV show
called Seinfeld... I guess he wasn't too upset about the term to use it on
his show.

Brian is right Joseph, you are being seriously oversensitive.   There are
more than enough _real_ problems in the world and when you want to fight
them nobody will take you seriously. Sort of like the boy who cried "wolf"
too many times, eh!

:-)

Ya'akov

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-sigs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-sigs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Brian
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 23:04
To: Joseph Gama
Cc: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] Please remove the word "nazi" from the website

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:02:34PM -0700, Joseph Gama wrote:
> I know that it is a joke about the "soup nazi" in:
>
> http://www.snort.org/snort-db/help.html
>
> However, it upsets me and it might be funny in the context of a sitcom
> but there are still many wounds from WWII and from the recent
> recruiting of young people into radical or cult like groups, often
> with idealistic aims but with a mad man in charge.  Any comments?

Well, the change has been made, since offending people without style isn't
our game.

However, this term has been in place for the Snort community for years.
This is the first complaint anyone has put forward.  In fact, Marty
nicknamed me the "Snort Signature Nazi" because of my seemingly dictatorial
control of the ruleset that whipped it into shape oh so many years ago.
Hell, I wore the "title" with pride.

Of course, the term has always been used in jest, with most people referring
to me in terms of the "Benevolent Rule Nazi".  No, I'm not making that up,
grep shows the term is used quite often.

Don't take my comments as if I don't care for history.  My grandfather
fought in the Pacific and had a bad back until the day he died because of
it.  My great-uncle had permanent white hair from the three weeks he was
"treed" in the middle of a german encampment without being noticed.  I have
(and always have had) great respect for those that have fought and those
that continue to fight for the freedoms I live with on a daily basis.

Since we are not out to offend, the change has been made.  But in the
future, you need to grow some thicker skin.  You are living in the days of
the Internet now.  You are going to run across things that offend you.  You
are going to see things you want changed but do not have any control over.
Hell, some of the most upsetting things I've ever seen on the Internet came
from my work as an IDS analyst.

Think of some of the worst possible things you could find with an IDS and
I've found them.  I've put calls directly into the FBI and had people picked
up shortly afterward thanks to some horrid things I've seen from being an
IDS analyst.

If you don't grow some thick skin, you might want to consider a different
job cause this one can turn your stomach if you are not careful.

Brian