[Snort-sigs] FP in Rule 2515 ?

Esler, Joel - Contractor joel.esler at ...783...
Fri Aug 6 06:49:05 EDT 2004

I get a lot of these too, however unless it's coupled with this rule:

alert tcp any any -> any 443 (msg:"IIS5 PCT Overflow Attempt
(MS04-011)"; content: "|80 62 01 02 bd 00 01 00 01 00 16 8f 82 01 00 00
00|"; depth:17; flow:to_server,established;
reference:url,www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx;
classtype:attempted-admin; sid:1000627; rev:1; tag:session;)

I looks to be a false positive to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-sigs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-sigs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Federico
Petronio
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 5:07 PM
To: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-sigs] FP in Rule 2515 ?

Hello, I recently notice some alerts on rule "2515: WEB-MISC PCT
Client_Hello overflow attempt", but that rule is not in the Snort
on-line database.

I would like to know if that rule could easily generate FP alerts or if
it an very accurate rule? Since it scan SSL traffic I can't realize if
the traffic was actually an attack or just normal traffic.

I am running 2.1 rules snapshot with the rev 9 of 2515.

--
                                         Federico Petronio
                                         petrus at ...2312...