[Snort-sigs] Understanding content rules

Alex Kirk alex.kirk at ...435...
Thu Aug 5 05:43:03 EDT 2004

Erik,

That's a good question, and is part of the reason I'm actually starting
to work on improving the online documentation (I'm new here at
Sourcefire in the last 3 months, and am only now in a good position to
write proper documentation).

Your second interpretation is indeed correct -- offset and depth are
designed to work together, and the count for depth starts from the end
of offset. There's actually something called the doe_ptr (a concept that
will be going in the Snort FAQ once I have it fully fleshed out) that
acts as a sort of a placemarker for where you are in the packet. Thus,
if "x" is your doe_ptr, your packet looks like this at the start of
pattern matching:

"x"abcdefghijkl

When you use offset:2, the packet looks like this:

ab"x"cdefghijkl

Specifying the depth:5 means your packet will never get beyond this point:

abcdefg"x"hijkl

Thus, if you used this rule (keeping in mind that any any rules are
usually more overhead than they're worth, but are less annoying to type):

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"Test Rule"; content:"jkl"; offset:2;
depth:5;)

you'd never get a match, even though "jkl" are present in the packet.

Hoepfully that makes sense; feel free to ask for any clarification
necessary.

Alex Kirk
Research Analyst
Sourcefire, Inc.