[Snort-sigs] New Sid: MISC HP Web JetAdmin ExecuteFile admin access

Thomas Alex talex at ...2704...
Wed Aug 4 13:37:40 EDT 2004

Sup,
After a cursory look in the sids db and mailing list archives, I don't
believe this one's in existence yet (or maybe I've missed it). Perhaps
you've considered it in the past and it wasn't deemed worthy of a unique
sid? I thought it might be as other HP Web JetAdmin sids (2547, 2548,
and 2549) already exist. I've successfully tested this signature by
exploiting an HP WebJetAdmin v6.5 running on a Win2k Pro platform. I
suspect the Linux exploit would trigger the signature as well.

This is my first time submitting one of these so I hope I have the
correct information (as per the required template). Please note that I
have kept some of the similar text in sids 2547, 2548, and 2548 to
maintain some consistency. Lemme know if you have any
questions...Thanks, Tom

Message:
MISC HP Web JetAdmin ExecuteFile admin access
--
Rule/Signature:
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 8000 (msg:"MISC HP Web JetAdmin
ExecuteFile admin access"; flow:to_server,established;
content:"/plugins/framework/script/content.hts"; nocase;
content:"ExecuteFile”; nocase; reference:bugtraq,10224;
classtype:attempted-admin; sid:????; rev:1;)
--
Sid:
????
--
associated with an HP WebJetAdmin web server.
--
Impact:
A successful attack may allow the execution of arbitrary code as root on
UNIX and SYSTEM on Windows on a vulnerable server.
--
Detailed Information:
The HP Web JetAdmin application allows users to manage HP
JetDirect-connected printers within their intranet using a browser. The
httpd core supports an exported function called ExecuteFile. A
vulnerability exists that allows the uploading and execution of
unauthorized files by posting a malicious http request with the script
/plugins/framework/script/content.hts in conjunction with ExecuteFile
function to the web server. Discovery of the vulnerability is credited
to FX of Phenoelit <
http://www.phenoelit.de/stuff/HP_Web_Jetadmin_advisory.txt>
--
Affected Systems:
HP Web JetAdmin 6.5.
--
Attack Scenarios:
An attacker can create upload and execute a malicious file on a
vulnerable server.
--
Ease of Attack:
Trivial.
--
False Positives:
None.
If you think this rule has a false positives, please help fill it out.
--
False Negatives:
The default HP Web JetAdmin port is 8000. If an administrator selects a

--
Additional References:
HP Bug ID: SSRT2397