[Snort-sigs] RE: Signature Database

Matthew Jonkman matt at ...2436...
Wed Apr 28 17:59:02 EDT 2004

That's a part of things. This will take people and documentation. The
initial submissions I don't think we'll require much documentation.
Mostly in the interest of encouraging the new ideas to get submitted
quickly. If the sig has value and sticks then we'll get it documented to
send toward snort.org and the real rulesets.

What I think the idea is evolving into is a repository for the
signatures that come across this list. CVS like. Anonymous access for
all. The ones that are complete junk can be caught and taken out. The
ones that need a little tweak can get that and be available in that form.

What benefits that gives us as I see it are:

1. You don't have to hope you got the last version or waste time
searching the list archives

2. An easy to use repository of historical sigs and current issues

3. Centralized feedback, not a string of emails that aren't connected in
the conversation

4. Easy link to let scripts pull the most recent for review. You can use
what you like out of that

5. No cutting and pasting crap all day. :)  wget and vi are wonderful.

6. New rules available without having to be on bleeding edge snort
(which is cumbersome when you have a large number of sensors to keep up
to date, so you can stay on the CURRENT sigs)

We're starting to try out some ideas. Take a look at
http://snort.infotex.com. This is the initial cvs setup. We'll have a
frontend and website up in a day or so.

We welcome any ideas. We've had a lot of direct email with great ideas.
Please keep that coming, on or off the list. Specifically we need a web
interface that will drop a file into cvs.

Thanks

Matt

Matthew Jonkman, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer