[Snort-sigs] snort-rules CURRENT update @ Thu Apr 22 20:15:51 2004

Lazar, Sean Sean_Lazar at ...2413...
Fri Apr 23 09:57:06 EDT 2004

The Current ruleset (snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz) is for use with
current snapshots of snort. These are development builds. Current is
found on http://www.snort.org/dl/snapshots/. Current is not for
production servers. The snortrules-snapshot-2_1.tar.gz is for use with
snort 2.1.x; these rules work with snort 2.1.x. The dates show that they
are updated at the same time. Perhaps they are tested as well. The
reason for split rules is to be able to introduce new features and test
them without breaking functionality for stable versions.

Sean Lazar
Network Technician
Pajaro Valley Unified School District

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-sigs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-sigs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Jason Haar
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 8:37 PM
To: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] snort-rules CURRENT update @ Thu Apr 22
20:15:51 2004

Can someone please remind us what CURRENT is these days?

I'm confused. As far as I'm aware, 2.1.X is the CURRENT series, and yet
the
Download area states snortrules-snapshot-2_1.tar.gz is for 2.1 and
snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz is for CURRENT? The MD5 show they are
definitely different...

What is CURRENT?

(I'm using 2.1.2 of course)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417