[Snort-sigs] Important

Brian Jameson bjameson at ...662...
Wed Apr 7 02:16:02 EDT 2004

Micheal wrote:-
> Here's a question.  Is there a website/other that's dedicated to
> having a list of all the virus signatures.  I'm aware the snort.org
> has some, but they are quite old, and yes they do have the ones
> that look for file attachments in email, but in some environments
> that's just not allowed/good enough/etc ... I would be more they
> happy to put a site up here, that would just be a list of snort
> virus rules (with or without documentation) if anybody is interested.
> I (unfortunately) don't have a lot of time to write my own, and I
> try to keep up with ones that come across the list. But if people
> can send me what they are using, I'll compile the web page, and
> when I get new rules keep it updated.
>
> I didn't want to cross post this, it seemed to fit here best.
>
> Thoughts?
> -=Mike

Mike,
I seem to recall that some time ago a call was put out for someone to look
after the virus signatures on this (i.e. the snort) site. Why not take up
that post if it has not been filled? It does strike me that the more rules
are centralised in one place the more time is available to move signature
creation forward rather than managing rules from a multitude of places. I
for one would very much appreciate a better virus section to the rules here
just as I would really like to see all the efforts that people are putting
into malware pulled together here as well. Just my 2p worth.
regards,
Brian