[Snort-sigs] DCOMRPC Exploit POC code posted

SoloNet Newsfeed newsfeed at ...1411...
Tue Sep 16 07:30:10 EDT 2003

The recent DoS attack code from cnhonker.com is detected as :

"LOCAL COMMON NetBios DCERPC exploit attempt (req 3)"

(from the "quick rules for the new dcom stuff) by Johnathan Norman")

(the attack tool is listed here)
http://www.cnhonker.com/index.php?module=releases&act=view&type=3&id=45

It uses some of the same code as the original DCOM scanners. We did note
that McAffee VirusScan does pick up the code in the EXE (as of 4292 DAT)
which kept us from getting an executable of the above code to save on to
our test development machine. So, if this makes it into a worm/virus, it
looks as if some of the virus companies' generic sigs are catching
things. The code itself took down a machine in less than two seconds and
initiates an automatic retry to the same address. Nasty little bugger.

Sincerely,

David