[Snort-sigs] rules licensing

Milani Paolo Paolo.Milani at ...1843...
Fri Sep 12 03:38:06 EDT 2003

> We've been down this road many times.  The rules are licensed as GPL.

Thanks. Sorry for asking again.

This seems to be the authorative answer I had been looking for, but thanks also to everyone else for answering.

All in all a very reasonable policy.

Paolo Milani

> You can distribute rules in the same fashion as anything else GPLed.
> BTW, many IDS companies support snort rules.  Correction, many companies
> support a subset of the features provided by snort rules.
>
> > Examples: can whoever modify some snort rules and put them up on a
> webserver for everyone to use?
>
> Sure.  As long as the rules are GPLed.
>
> if free-ids.org develops a new opensource ids software that can read snort
> syntax, can he ship snort rule files with it? does this force him to go GPL
> for his entire project (rather than use some other free software license)?
>
> Nope, just the rules.
>
> > if make-money-with-ids.com sells a NIDS developed from scratch but
> compatible with snort syntax, can he ship those rule files with it? can
> their customers download the rule files themselves?
>
> Sure, as long as they are shipped in a GPL compatable manor.  A number
> of IDS vendors do this.  We (the snort team) would prefer if you published
> the fact you are using our rules up front.  Intrusion.com has been
> shipping our rules for a long time, only to add a comment [0] after we
> bitched.

> -brian

> [0] Of course, the comment went from how their user community wrote the
>    rules to how the user community wrote the rules or maybe but
>    unlikely other sites like snort.org & whitehats.com might have
>    contributed some of them.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by
replying to MailAdmin at ...1844... Thank you