[Snort-sigs] RE: FTP brute force login signature

adam.w.hogan adam.w.hogan at ...1605...
Thu Nov 13 07:15:12 EST 2003

Excellent idea, thresholding is turning out to be an incredibly useful feature.  I work on a ridiculously large network, so anything to help limit the amount of data and the number of false positives is a god-send.

I tested the rule Milani suggested for FTP Brute force attack last night with a few publicly available dictionary attack programs [0].  The rule did an excellent job of catching the programs that run through a giant list of words to try as passwords.  It greatly reduced the amount of alerts to look through, and more importantly, it cuts out false positives from the casual user who fat-fingers the keyboard while typing in their password.

But, the rule does not catch programs that use a much smaller list of passwords to try.  Lately I've seen a lot of worms that use a simple list of passwords like user name, user name backwards, admin, secret, blank, etc. instead of running through a giant dictionary.  So I want to through out an idea for comments to shorten the necessary threshold triggers.  I guess the trick is putting it just out of range of the user who can't remember his password.  Here's my suggestion for the rule:

alert tcp $HOME_NET 21 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"FTP Brute force attack"; content:"530 Login "; nocase; flow:from_server,established;  threshold: type both, track by_dst, count 5, seconds 10; sid:10491;)

Any thoughts?

-Adam

[0] www.packetstorm.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Milani Paolo [mailto:Paolo.Milani at ...1843...]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 10:04 AM
To: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-sigs] RE: FTP brute force login signature

hi,

I think that with the new threshholding capabilities you can write rules for a brute force login attempt.. These features are documented in doc/README.threshholding (and implemented from version 2.0.2).

I am going to try, although I am not very familiar with this new feature, so
I'll start with the ftp bad login rule mentioned by Adam.

alert tcp $HOME_NET 21 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"FTP Bad login"; content:"530 Login "; nocase; flow:from_server,established; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:491; rev:5;)

(personally I would prefer content:"530";within 3; since the text after the 530 code is not rfc defined, and the space may be replaced by - if message is longer than one line. Of course this may in turn fail if server sends multiple replies in a single packet, but that doesn't usually happen as far as I know.)

and add threshhold option:

threshhold: type both,track by_dst,count 100,seconds 100;

Type both means that after 100 times that alert happens in 100 seconds, an alert is issued, then no more such alerts are issued in the time period.
track by_dst means that we would be tracking how many such packets have our ftp server as destination, so we can also catch distributed brute force attacks.
Of course count and seconds need to be tuned.

So here it is:
alert tcp $HOME_NET 21 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"FTP Brute force attack"; content:"530 Login "; nocase; flow:from_server,established;  threshhold: type both,track by_dst,count 100,seconds 100;sid:10491;)

I have not tested this, so take it with due caution.

I think it is also possible to have multiple rules count against the same threshhold, by giving them the same sid (ugly!) so we could also add the other rule Adam suggested:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 21 (msg:"FTP Brute force attack"; content: "PASS"; nocase; offset:0; depth:4; content:"|0a|"; within:3;  flow:from_client,established;threshhold: type both,track by_dst,count 100,seconds 100; sid:10491;)

honestly I do not know if this will work at all, I still have 2.0.0 installed, or i would test this before saying something stupid.
Message: 2