[Snort-sigs] Nimda

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...189...
Tue May 27 15:01:05 EDT 2003

Snort should catch the directory traversal attempts from Nimda with the
default ruleset.

Some things to check:

1) what is HTTP_PORTS defined as in snort.conf.. if you have a comma in
there, look no further.. comma separated lists are NOT supported here, just
single ports or : separated ranges.

2) what are HTTP_SERVERS,  and EXTERNAL_NET defined as in snort.conf? How
do the destination and source addresses of the attacks relate to these
ranges? (ie: is the source included in EXTERNAL_NET and the targeted server
in HTTP_SERVERS).

3) are you using stream4?

4) what kind of dropped-packet rate are you getting?