[Snort-sigs] Rule Documentation - Rules of engagement
nigel.houghton at ...435...
Tue Jun 24 08:04:28 EDT 2003
Thanks to everyone who has submitted documentation. I am currently
compiling a list of rules that have had documentation submitted but have
not yet been committed to the store. This should assist everyone
currently writing new documents. (at least it will save time searching
the mail archives)
For folks submitting documentation, here are a few rules of engagement.
1. Please use the format laid out in the template, it is distributed
with the source for Snort and is conveniently located at
2. Look at the existing documentation for guidance on writing the actual
3. Please do not remove the "--" characters from your document, they are
useful place markers when performing some Perl skulduggery to parse the
files. Brian may also need them for the web site cgi script too.
4. Add your document as an attachment to your e-mail and name the file
[sid].txt, e.g. for sid 1000 the document would be called 1000.txt.
5. Check any additional references carefully and make sure they apply to
the rule being documented.
6. Make sure your work is original. If you are submitting corrections or
additions to existing documentation please use the existing document and
clearly mark your work.
7. Read this http://www.snort.org/snort-db/help.html
8. If you wish to package up a whole bunch of documents, that's fine but
it would help if you could give the file a useful name like
your_name_snort_documents.tgz or somesuch. When extracted it would also
help if they unpacked into a directory that is also named something like
Thanks again to everyone, the response has been overwhelming so far.
Nigel Houghton Security Engineer Sourcefire Inc.
"I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-O."
More information about the Snort-sigs