[Snort-sigs] Using snort to stop SMTP dictionary attacks

david at ...1572... david at ...1572...
Fri Jun 6 05:33:04 EDT 2003

You will have a *much* easier time implementing this in your mailserver rather than using snort.  The kind of blocking you are looking to do is a lot easier when the program doing the blocking has access to all the data it needs to determine whether or not a connection is good.  Depending on the mailserver you are running you should be able to tarpit people making multiple connections, limit consecuative connections to some small number, or create a running list of IP addresses to refuse connections from.  Doing this using snort is only going to give you a painful headache and a bunch of weird mailserver behavior down the line.

-David Powers