[Snort-sigs] Web service rules

Joel Maslak jmaslak at ...1560...
Thu Jun 5 07:48:04 EDT 2003

These rules detect some .NET remote procedure call activity.

The first rule detects remote use of a Web Service.  Web Services
generally shouldn't be called from the Internet at large.

The second rule detects use of the Web Service discovery protocol, a
tactic that is often used by hackers to conduct research on a site.

The third rule detects attempted access to an IIS server's trace.asd file,
used by programmers for debugging information.

The forth rule detects attempted access to the web.conf file, which
commonly contains database connection strings (including passwords).  IIS
normally blocks access to web.conf, but I like to be sure.

==== //depot/development/snort-rules/local/local.rules#44 - /home/jmasla/perforce/development/snort-rules/local/local.rules ====
79a80,85

--
Joel Maslak