[Snort-sigs] Using snort to stop SMTP dictionary attacks]

Rich Adamson radamson at ...908...
Thu Jun 5 06:29:02 EDT 2003

Be carefull with the flex-resp option. Some spammers and hackers ignore the
RST packet, and simply reseting the sendmail port doesn't actually accomplish
anything usefull. Sending the flex-resp RST packet will not happen
immediately; it will occur some time "after" the dataflow has been analyzed,
rules applied, etc, which generally allows several more inbound packets to
arrive. Also, if snort misses any packets (eg, dropped due to instantanous
overload) the dataflow won't ever be analyzed and therefore no RST packet.