[Snort-sigs] Ignoring just one host

Moyer, Shawn SMoyer at ...758...
Mon Jul 28 14:27:08 EDT 2003

How about just passing the BPF expression 'not host 123.123.123.123' when starting snort?

--shawn

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Danko [mailto:GDanko at ...1711...]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 3:58 PM
To: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-sigs] Ignoring just one host

Hi all,
I currently have two snort sensors, one inside the firewall and one outside. All internal traffic is nat'd through a single public IP address outside the firewall. Here's the problem.

If a user on a public IP triggers an alert, I get two alerts for it. The first alert is from the internal sensor on the private network. The second alert is from the public nat'd IP address.

So I want to ignore all traffic on that public nat'd IP address. Here's what I have on my external sensor.

# Networks
var IGNORE_HOSTS 123.123.123.123
var HOME_NET [209.247.78.0/24,64.156.197.0/25,!$IGNORE_HOSTS]
var EXTERNAL_NET !$IGNORE_HOSTS

So 123.123.123.123 is my nat'd IP on the public network. I want to ignore it from all traffix analysis. This doesn't seem to work. Did I do something wrong?