[Snort-sigs] Signature for scanning SSH versions

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at ...481...
Thu Jul 24 10:39:19 EDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Jukka Juslin wrote:

> Would is be possible to have a signature to capture SSH server version
> scanning? There is one signature in the rules package, but it doesn't
> really detect basic thing, when somebody just queries the SSH-XXXXX header
> and then exists.

You can not match this with a signature.

You can match the version info but not the probing as you need to check
the behaviour of packets after you trigger on the packet containing the
version info.

To the best of my knowledge one can not write such signatures.

Hugo.

    hvdkooij at ...481...		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.